- Fellowship Program Helps Environmental Sciences Major Succeed
When a severe knee injury derailed a promising dance career in her junior year of high school, Kelly Tessier internalized the disappointment and turned the setback into a positive.
"I discovered my identity," says the Harrisburg University first-year student. "I spent a whole year focusing on myself . . . my dreams and goals."
Mar 18, 2014
- HU Alumnus Career is Brewing Thanks to Biotechnology Degree
What do you do with a thirst for success and a Harrisburg University of Science and Technology degree in biotechnology with an emphasis on microbiology? You go work for a beer company, of course! And, not just any beer company; you get a job as a microbiologist at one of the most successful brewing companies in the world – Samuel Adams!
Mar 17, 2014
- A Clear Educational Horizon for this Forensics Major
For Harrisburg University student Nicole Borrell, the questions she asked herself while attending East Stroudsburg (Pa.) North High School—What am I really doing? Why am I here? Is college in my future?—weren’t leading to any epiphany.
Or, frankly, any reliable answers.
That is until she took a forensics course in her sophomore year. For whatever reason, Nicole’s educational horizon became much clearer.
Mar 17, 2014
- HU Provides Opportunities for this Biology Major to Expand Her Horizons
Brittany Barney is not someone who lets an opportunity pass by, and the Harrisburg University sophomore has found plenty of opportunities to expand her horizons though coursework, internships, projects, and extracurriculars.
Mar 17, 2014
- University & Technology Council Announce New Training Partnership
The Technology Council of Pennsylvania and Harrisburg University of Science and Technology have formed a partnership to bring discounted technology training to members of the Council.
Mar 3, 2014
- Board of Trustees Member Among Best Lawyers in Central PA
A member of the Board of Trustees for Harrisburg University of Science and Technology was recently recognized as one of the 2014 Lawyers of the Year in Central Pennsylvania.
Feb 19, 2014
- Learning Technologies Master of Science Student Wins Award for Project
Nancy Konopka, a student in HU’s Learning Technologies Master of Science program, recently won an award for an online blood-transfusion safety program that she developed for the nursing staff at Hanover Hospital. Nancy designed a two-part eLearning course, featuring two instructional PowerPoint slide programs, satisfied transfusion safety accreditation standards of the Joint Commission and the College of American Pathologists. For her work, Nancy received the 2013 Theriot Award for Development of Significant Materials in Media & Equipment, presented by the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science, one of the premier professional organizations for laboratory medicine
Jan 31, 2014
- Online Learning Technologies Master of Science Appears in U.S. News Best Online Graduate Education Program Rankings
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology’s online Learning Technologies Master of Science degree appears in the second tier of the U.S. News and World Report’s 2014 Best Online Graduate Education Program rankings released January 8th.
Jan 8, 2014
- Select Medical Donates $570,000 to Harrisburg University
Select Medical Chief Executive Officer Robert Ortenzio presented a check for $570,000 to Harrisburg University of Science and Technology President Dr. Eric Darr today in the main lobby of the University on Market Street in downtown Harrisburg.
Dec 19, 2013
- Annual PA Educator Technology Conference to Feature Presentation by HU Professor
The 2014 Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo and Conference (PETE&C) in Hershey will feature two presentations by Andy Petroski, Director of Learning Technologies at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology.
Dec 18, 2013
- New Project Supported by the National Science Foundation Focuses on the Mathematics of Real-world Problems
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded the National Center for Science and Civic Engagement (NCSCE) of Harrisburg University of Science and Technology a three-year $550,000 grant for Engaging Mathematics: Building a National Community of Practice, a faculty development and dissemination initiative.
Dec 11, 2013
- HU Launches Online M.S. in Information Systems Engineering and Management Degree Program
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology in Pennsylvania now offers an entirely online Master of Science degree in Information Systems Engineering and Management (ISEM).
Dec 10, 2013
- Harrisburg High Students To Attend Harrisburg University Through Funding From Harrisburg Public Schools Foundation
Students from Harrisburg High School’s Sci-Tech High can attend Harrisburg University of Science and Technology while they are in high school to earn college credit. The program is being funded through a $333,000 donation from Penn National Insurance.
Dec 4, 2013
- HU's Scholarships Reward Good Grades in High School: A 3.8 GPA Qualifies for $20,000 Scholarship
While other universities require students to jump through hoops for scholarships, Harrisburg University is awarding scholarship money to incoming students for Fall 2014 who earned good grades in high school.
Dec 3, 2013
- What's the Definition of Success? Derek Ivey Will Google It For You!
You would have to search far and wide to find someone who doesn't use the word "Google" daily without a second, third or fourth thought. It’s a noun. It's a verb. For Derek Ivey, it's a lifestyle and his professional home. Everyone knows that education is important, but for this recent Harrisburg University graduate, the real-world experiences he received at HU have led him to San Jose, Ca. where is he now a Corporate Operations Engineer for none other than the search engine giant itself!
Dec 1, 2013
- Nathaniel Clarke Well on His Way to a Career in Computer Security
Nathaniel Clarke is already making an impact on his future career and believes that his experiences from Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, as well as his internship, have prepared him for his future career ahead.
Nov 25, 2013
- Terrell Dardens 'Diverse, Close-Knit' HU Experience Puts Him on a Path to Reaching His Professional Goals
Terrell Darden is well on his way to reaching his lofty career aspiration; he wants to take over the technology helm of a Fortune 500 company as its chief information officer. If it's true that every journey starts with a first step, Darden will tell you that the direction he received from Harrisburg University has set him on the path to success.
Nov 25, 2013
- Attacking to Protect! Josh Smith, Cyber Security Major from Mechanicsburg
In the field of cyber security, Josh Smith likes the part about “attacking to protect.”
“One of the ways you can protect a system is through penetration testing,” he says. “Attack as if you were a hacker. Tell them where there are vulnerabilities.”
Smith is a senior majoring in computer and information sciences, with a focus on security. He’s set to graduate in spring 2014, with a dream job all sewn up.
Nov 22, 2013
- AffordableCollegesOnline Names Harrisburg University Online LTMS Among PA's Most Affordable Online Degree Programs
AffordableCollegesOnline.org (AC Online) recently identified Harrisburg University of Science and Technology among the colleges and universities in Pennsylvania with the most affordable online degree programs
Nov 18, 2013
- Student Profile: Katie Piatt, Geospatial Technology Major
Katie Piatt's high school environmental science teacher assigned a paper on an environmental topic, "and it could not be on pollution or Love Canal," she recalls.
"I started looking around and found something on emergency environmental response in GIS," she says. "As I was doing this paper, I got really interested in it. One thing led to another, and lo and behold, I'm here at HU."
Nov 13, 2013